|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 11g||14%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||34%|
|Total Carbohydrate 24g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|Total Sugars 20g|
|Vitamin C 0mg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Fans of mocha drinks will be happy to know that it's super easy (and less expensive) to make at home. The indulgent chocolate-coffee beverage takes only a few ingredients and almost no more effort than brewing a regular cup of coffee. Simply shake some cocoa powder, milk, and sugar along with your hot coffee, top with some whipped cream (homemade, or store-bought), then get to sipping. You wallet and your taste buds will thank you.
You’ll love this coffee concoction if you enjoy chocolate and coffee together. You can also serve it iced. Simply prepare the coffee as instructed below, then refrigerate it until cool and pour it over ice. This recipe makes one large cup of mocha, but you can easily double or triple the recipe based on how many people you are serving. Or serve this recipe to two for a smaller serving. It’s a great way to warm you up on a cold winter morning or enjoy as an afternoon pick me up.
4 tablespoons ground coffee
1/4 cup whole milk
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Whipped cream, to taste, for garnish
Chocolate shavings, to taste, for garnish
Gather the ingredients.
Brew the coffee according to your brewer instructions.
Add the hot coffee to a warm mason jar that has a strong lid. Add the whole milk, heavy cream, cocoa powder, sugar, and vanilla extract to the jar. Put the lid back on and then cover the top with a clean towel in case the jar does leak. Shake the jar for 30 seconds or until the sugar has dissolved. It will also get nice and frothy. You can also use a milk frother instead of shaking.
You can decide to heat the coffee back up if you wish, either before or after adding whipped cream. Just pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds to one minute or heat on the stove until steaming. Then serve with chocolate shavings and enjoy!
- Use an electric milk frother to mix the ingredients if you have one and don’t want to shake your coffee.
- You can sub in quality chocolate shavings for the unsweetened cocoa.
- You don’t have to add any sugar if you want to keep the calories lower. You can also omit the heavy cream.
- You can also increase the sugar if you like it even sweeter. Just taste it after you prepare and add more as needed.
- Use a plant-based milk if you want to make this drink vegan.
- Use a high-quality dark cocoa for the best flavor and color.
- White Chocolate Mocha: Prepare with white chocolate chips instead of the cocoa powder.
- Peppermint Mocha: Add 1/8 of a teaspoon peppermint extract along with the other ingredients before shaking for a delicious chocolate peppermint flavor that’s perfect for winter.
- Spiked Mocha: Make it an adult beverage by adding a 1/4 cup of Irish creme.